October 27, 2015
Project Learning Tree continues to develop new online professional development opportunities for educators that are carefully designed to create effective learning experiences.
This past summer, we launched an online workshop for the PreK-8 Environmental Education Activity Guide. To date, 13 states are now offering their own version of this online course, supplemented with state-specific information and resources and, in some cases, continuing education credits. Now, thanks to support and funding from the U.S. Forest Service, the national PLT office has just completed an online training course for teachers and school staff interested in starting a GreenSchools program at their school.
Online Professional Development for PLT GreenSchools
As part of the GreenSchools online course, you will:
- Get an introduction to PLT’s GreenSchools program
- Learn how to effectively engage your students in conducting each of the five investigations (Energy, School Site, Waste and Recycling, Water, and Environmental Quality) in your own educational setting
- Find out how to obtain equipment and collect data
- Participate in interactive learning experiences that will enable you to facilitate a green schools program at your school and get the support of school administrators, staff, parents, and community members
- Engage in planning exercises to help you be successful in implementing the program
- Discover ways to empower your students to design and lead an action project
- See video demonstrations of GreenSchools students and educators in action
- Understand the benefits of PLT GreenSchools – for students and your school
- Get tips on how to measure your students’ impact and celebrate successes
All of PLT’s online workshops are comprised of several coursels. A coursel is a 20-30 minute self-paced learning experience that makes up the larger course. In other words, a coursel is a morsel of a course.
PLT’s GreenSchools online course costs $25 and takes approximately 6 hours to complete. Once enrolled, you will have 180 days to complete the course.
You can view and download each of the PLT GreenSchools Investigations by registering for free, or purchase a print copy of the set for $29.95.