PLT uses the forest as a "window" on the world to increase students' understanding of our environment; stimulate students' critical and creative thinking; develop students' ability to make informed decisions on environmental issues; and instill in students the commitment to take responsible action on behalf of the environment.
- To develop students' awareness, appreciation, skills, and commitment to address environmental issues.
- To provide a framework for students to apply scientific processes and higher order thinking skills to resolve environmental problems.
- To help students acquire an appreciation and tolerance of diverse viewpoints on environmental issues and develop attitudes and actions based on analysis and evaluation of the available information.
- To encourage creativity, originality, and flexibility to resolve environmental problems and issues.
- To inspire and empower students to become responsible, productive, and participatory members of society.
View and download PLT's Strategic plan for 2012-2015. We developed this Strategic Plan in order to provide a four-year roadmap that will enable PLT to remain the cornerstone for high quality Environmental Education. The plan was developed with broad involvement and guidance from the PLT Education Operating Committee, staff, network of PLT State Partners, and other key stakeholders. The planning process enabled PLT to assess the challenges and opportunities we are likely to face over the next four years to determine the best goals and objectives for taking full advantage of the opportunities while successfully navigating the challenges.
The Education Operating Committee provides governance and leadership to PLT and other educational programs of the American Forest Foundation. The committee develops opportunities for young people and their families to better understand environmental issues by cooperating on projects with educators, resource management professionals, youth leaders, and citizen conservationists.
The committee’s responsibilities include:
- Recommending goals and policies for PLT and other educational programs
- Developing annual operating plans and budgets for the Foundation’s Board of Trustees’ approval
- Assisting with fundraising activities
- Participating in PLT’s programs and activities
- Initiating strategic planning for PLT and other AFF education programs
PLT's Education Operating Committee
Laura Downey, Ph.D.
Nat Frazer, Ph.D.
Frank Gallagher, Ph.D.
Susan M. Schultz
Bora Simmons, Ph.D.
Brenda Weiser, Ed.D.