The Education Operating Committee (EOC) is a committee of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) Board and reports to the SFI Board. It is responsible for providing leadership, direction, and strategy development in connection with Project Learning Tree (PLT) and other educational programs of SFI. The committee develops opportunities to further understanding about natural resource management and complex environmental issues among youth and their families – working with educators, resource management professionals, youth leaders, citizen conservationists, and others in cooperative projects.
The committee’s responsibilities include:
- Recommending goals and policies for PLT and other educational programs
- Recommending annual programs, work plans, and budgets for consideration and approval by SFI’s Board of Directors
- Advocating for PLT
- Participating in or assisting with PLT’s programs and activities as appropriate
- Providing guidance related to strategic planning for PLT programs
- Assessing effectiveness of PLT activities in addressing strategic priorities and recommending improvements or change
- Ensuring that effective, transparent, and credible mechanisms for awarding of grants, fellowships, prizes, and honors are maintained.
PLT’s Education Operating Committee
Division Chief of Education, Interpretation,
Bureau of Land Management
Director, Conservation Education
USDA Forest Service
|Nicole Ardoin, PhD.
Graduate School of Education
|Karen L. Ostlund, Ph.D.
Lecturer, University of Texas at Austin
UTeach Science Program,
College of Natural Sciences
Due South Investment
|Robert Raze, Ph.D.
St. Petersburg College
College of Education
Branch Chief for Interagency Coordination
US Fish and Wildlife Service
Division of Education Outreach
Senior Director, Conservation Content and Partnerships
Wildlife Habitat Council
Director of Forest Stewardship
Massachusetts Department of Conservation
Cal-Wood Education Center
|Laura Downey, Ph.D.
Kansas Association for Conservation
and Environmental Education
|Susan M. Schultz
Education Program Manager
National Geographic Society
Arbor Day Foundation
PLT State Coordinator
NC State University- Extension Forestry
Director of Marketing
PLT State Coordinator
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Forest Resources Division