The Education Operating Committee (EOC) is a committee of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) Board and reports to the SFI Board. It is responsible for providing leadership, direction, and strategy development in connection with Project Learning Tree (PLT) and other educational programs of SFI. The committee develops opportunities to further understanding about natural resource management and complex environmental issues among youth and their families – working with educators, resource management professionals, youth leaders, citizen conservationists, and others in cooperative projects.
The committee’s responsibilities include:
- Recommending goals and policies for PLT and other educational programs
- Recommending annual programs, work plans, and budgets for consideration and approval by SFI’s Board of Directors
- Advocating for PLT
- Participating in or assisting with PLT’s programs and activities as appropriate
- Providing guidance related to strategic planning for PLT programs
- Assessing effectiveness of PLT activities in addressing strategic priorities and recommending improvements or change
- Ensuring that effective, transparent, and credible mechanisms for awarding of grants, fellowships, prizes, and honors are maintained.
PLT’s Education Operating Committee
Division Chief of Education, Interpretation,
Bureau of Land Management
Asst. Director, Conservation Education
USDA Forest Service
Rock Creek National Park
|Karen L. Ostlund, Ph.D.
Lecturer, University of Texas at Austin
UTeach Science Program,
College of Natural Sciences
Due South Investment
|Robert Raze, Ph.D.
St. Petersburg College
College of Education
Zuni Public School District
Turo Park Partners LLC
Pacific Education Institute
|Joe Heimlich, Ph. D.
COSI Center for Research and Evaluation
Arbor Day Foundation
Department of Conservation and Recreation
Alabama PLT State Coordinator
Alabama Forestry Association
|Laura Six, Ph. D.
|Nicole Ardoin, Ph.D.
School of Education
Education Program Manager
National Geographic Society