How do you dispose of waste and other unwanted items?
Our fast-paced society is full of items to make our lives more convenient—from fast-food wrappers and cups to disposable shopping bags. But these convenience items, as well as all the other disposable items we use, can end up in landfills. It costs money to dispose of them and creates environmental problems.
Improving the way you dispose of waste is an important way you can help our environment. Reducing waste, reusing items, recycling, and composting save natural resources, energy, and landfill space. Reducing waste can also save you money by lowering collection and disposal fees.
Reuse and Recycle At Home
- Use this chart to analyze how you are currently disposing of waste and whether items being thrown away could be reused, recycled, or composted.
- Place a check mark to indicate what you currently do with each type of waste.
- Look at the “Comments” to see if there are ways you could make improvements.
- Finally, record your ideas under “Ways I Can Make Improvements.”
Get the Materials
- Download this Home Connection: Improving Recycling and Reuse, adapted from PLT’s GreenSchools Investigations.
- Descarga la actividad en español: Mejorar el reciclaje y la reutilización