April 10, 2020
All of us at Project Learning Tree want to say first and foremost that we hope you and your families are safe and well.
We recognize these are challenging times for all, including teachers, parents, and students. We are here to help as much as we can.
Previously we shared our free Activities to Do with Children At Home. Now, with the 50th anniversary of Earth Day taking place this month, we are supporting educators in their transition to remote instruction by offering 50% off our online materials.
Also, be sure to check out the smartphone videos highlighted below that our PLT community is creating. They demo for you some favorite PLT activities from our curriculum that your students can easily do at home. Or, share with your students’ parents for ideas of activities they can do together!
E-Curriculum + Self-Paced Online Training for Educators
PLT currently has six online trainings with e-curriculum for educators to teach youth about the natural world and sustainability. Our curriculum, included with each online workshop, is designed for adults (teachers and other educators) to access and use for their lesson planning.
The prices below reflect a 50% discount, available through the month of April.
- Environmental Education for K-8 Online Training & E-Book — $20
- Carbon & Climate Online Training & E-Unit for grade 6-8 teachers — $20
- Energy in Ecosystems Online Training & E-Unit for grade 3-5 teachers — $20
- Treemendous Science! Online Training & E-Unit for grade K-2 teachers — $20
- Environmental Experiences for Early Childhood Online Training & E-Book — $15
- GreenSchools Online Training & E-Book — $12.50
To purchase, go to shop.plt.org and enter code EARTHDAY50 at checkout. This 50% off code will expire on April 30, 2020.
- Each of our online workshops are self-paced courses composed of several 20-30 minute learning experiences, called “coursels.” They are designed to help educators integrate PLT’s environmental education materials into their instruction.
- Our curriculum, included with each online workshop, is designed for teachers and other educators to access.
- Our e-books are downloadable PDFs; our e-units are all online.
- Each curriculum includes lots of activities and lesson plans, many of which provide ideas for students to get outdoors for some learning—even if it’s just outside their front door.
- Our activities include downloadable Student Worksheets.
- Educators can load these Student Worksheets as “assignments” within Google Classroom. The “Technical Support” index for each of our e-units, for example, provides instructions for how students can complete their assignments within the Google Classroom platform.
Project Learning Tree has a vast network of State Coordinators and Facilitators in every state. In a normal year, they organize hundreds of in-person PLT professional development workshops for thousands of educators across the country. Of course, most of these events in the coming months have been cancelled or postponed.
But our community is strong, creative, and compassionate.
Many PLT Coordinators and Facilitators are moving their events to virtual learning experiences. And they are creating videos that support PLT activities and connect people with the outdoors. These videos are not slick productions, our Coordinators are just using their smartphones to create these videos as they can to help parents and teachers in this time of need.
More videos are being added each week. You can see what we have in a new “PLT Videos” YouTube account we created to house these.
We encourage you to reach out to your PLT Coordinator in your state for more information about what they can offer. They are compiling and creating online resources to support teachers and local communities in their state. However, please recognize that some states may be better equipped to respond promptly at this time than others, and if we at the National office can help instead, we will.
Remember, we’re all in this together. Stay safe!