Grades PreK to Grade 2
Chronicle Books, 2014
What happens when a little boy leaves the comfort and security of his tent to explore the unfamiliar and unpredictable environment that surrounds his camp… in the dark? Armed with only his flashlight, the main character of this book takes readers on a journey that is creative and exciting on multiple levels.
Using no words and a dramatic color palate, this book reveals something new with every read. So snuggle up in the dark with a flashlight of your own, this children’s literature book, and your favorite preschooler– and be prepared to:
- Hone your observation skills
- Foster individual curiosity
- Identify predictable patterns
- Encounter visual and tangible stimulation (using colors and textures)
- Explore the definitions of community and friendship
- Experience multiple emotions (including but not limited to fear, apprehension, and humor)
Don’t you wonder how author Lizi Boyd does it? You’ll just have to take a closer look at this book and find out for yourself! In the meantime, enjoy Flashlight’s animated trailer, created by black lead pencil.
Try coupling this book with the following PLT activities:
#1 – The Shape of Things
#2 – Sounds Around
#8 – Adopt a Tree
#10 – Trees as Habitats
#6 – Picture This!
#22 – Trees as Habitats
#46 – Schoolyard Safari
#61 – The Closer You Look
#70 – Soil Stories